Thursday, January 9, 2014

Things I wish I Truly Understood before Varsity

I wonder at which point during varsity the excitement and energy with which we enter first year fades to bitterness. Our first university exam? The first time we obtain marks lower than what we're used to? When you're so swamped with work that the thought of dropping out and getting married dares to cross you mind?

Due to the release of the matric results this week, most Twitter timelines were buzzing with anticipation. The first thought that crossed my mind when I opened Twitter was "Chill guys, A's mean nothing at varsity. Honestly, I'd take the stress of wanting to obtain an A over the stress of wanting to proceed into your next academic year of study. Because university is ten times worse". I then thought back to the night before my own results were released two years ago and realized that the only time I'd experienced more stress than that was the day of my driving test.

I literally had 45 minutes of sleep in 48 the hours between the day before results were released and D-day. And all I could think about was "WHAT IF I DONT GET ALL As. WHAT IF I DONT GET ALL As. WHAT IF MY As ARENT GOOD As". I refused to let anyone tell me my results - I wanted to find out by counting the brackets next to my name in the paper. I kept my mother up that night, driving out to the garages every two hours and repeated my doubt-filled mantra. Though, of course, we all have that university friend who brings you back to reality and tells you your marks when you least expect it. Although I don't often admit it, I'm glad he told me and put my out of my self-inflicted misery. I then zombie'd my way through the rest of the day, feeling more relieved than excited.

So there - all university students have been through the excitement and stress of final matric exams and receiving results (and receiving calls from aunties you have no memory of). And we also experienced the same disregard by university students during our finals period. I remember swearing that I'd never become one of those students who forgot the stress of matric.

Unfortunately, Class of 2013, you will, at some point, find yourselves disregarding future matriculants. University is exciting and liberating, but it also makes you view schools and education in a different light. In all honesty, school does not prepare you for change. The uniformity of school teaches you nothing about varsity, losing relationships or life in general. You think it's easy to maintain friendships with your school friends, but the truth is that unless you make an effort to remain in contact with them, you will slowly drift apart, simply because varsity allows you to grow and develop new interests and make your friends. The subjects you did in high school don't really prepare you adequately for university modules. You have to really put in the effort to stand out academically, because you're simply a student number to a lecturer. There will be times when you'll walk out your lectures more confused than when you entered because your lecturer's foreign accent is difficult to understand. There will be times when you will question your choice of degree, university and post-matric path in general.

BUT there are also a lot of wonderful things about university. You meet different people and you're at liberty to try out different things. You will learn to develop and voice your opinion. You will grow and, yes, you will change. You will learn to let go of insecurities and other things that hinder your growth as a person. You WILL probably go though some sort of existential crisis and question life. Albeit being just a number in the system, you will develop as an individual. Your academic focus will solely be on your chosen career path - no more Physics for Accounting students!

For now, just bask in the excitement of your results. You worked for it, so it's yours to rightfully enjoy. Take this level of energy and confidence with you into first year - not as arrogance, but as self-esteem and a will to push yourself so you're able to cope with the academic changes. Do yourself a favour and find out the stats for each year of study for your chosen degree - it's the only way you can truly determine its level of difficulty. Enjoy this long holiday. No seriously, university students get long holidays because we need it after a hectic semester. Don't wish your holidays away because you're bored - find something to do!

Shout out to my Alma Mater, Westville Girls' High School, for the excellent results! *inserts 62540792 tweets about WGHS here*

No comments: