Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Hobbitsess and Stair-Surfing

After recently watching The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, I became little obsessed with J.R.R. Tolkien's world and decided that it was time for me to finally watch the Lord of the Rings. Yes, I know. It took me a decade to watch the movies. But to be honest, I'm happy I've only watched them now. I don't think I would have fully appreciated the depth of the story and its characters if I'd watched it when I was younger.

My favourite aspects were the Sam/Frodo bromance, the Legolas/Gimli bromance, Frodo's emotional, physical and mental journey, Eowyn's role, Legolas' stair-surfing, arrow-shooting badassery and Treebeard. The soundtrack is, by far, the BEST soundtrack I've listened to and I want it on my wedding playlist. The acting is fantastic and the trilogy definitely deserved every Oscar award, nomination and other accolades it received. If possible, I'd like to retire in Hobbiton. 

My favourite quotes/scenes from each of the movies:

The Fellowship of the Ring


Sam is about to take the furthest step he's ever taken from the Shire and Frodo tells Sam something Bilbo always told him:
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." 

The Two Towers



You couldn't not love Sam, especially after this scene towards the end of the movie:

Frodo: I can't do this, Sam. 

Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, i
t's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

Return of the King


Of course this is going to be on my list of favourite scenes. It's one of the few scenes with female badassery.

Witch King: You fool. No man can kill me. Die now. 
[As he tries to strangle her, Merry stabs him in the leg. She is released and remoes her helmet]

Eowyn: I am no man.

***
I'm going to read the books. Obviously. Actually, I'm almost done with The Hobbit and during my next, reasonably long holiday I'll start with the trilogy. My best friend read it when we were in high school. She was apparently traumatized by its length and 'unnecessary' detail of scenery and refuses to watch the movies. From what I've gathered, though set in the same world as The Hobbit, it's not written in the same tone or light as its prequel. So the read should be interesting.

Just found out that J.R.R. Tolkien was born in Bloemfontein. Which is in my country. Which is Epiiiiiiiiiiic.

Oh, and also, Happy New Year!

No comments: