Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Controversial or Disrespectful?

In my opinion, there are two types of controversial statements; one which offends a societal ideal and one which is downright disrespectful. I shamefully enjoy the first type of controversy; it's really interesting to see different ideology being challenged, particularly on a creative platform - my favourite being dramatic arts. But just reading up on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' was enough to make me cringe audibly.

Basically in 1988 author Salman Rushdie (I prefer not to refer to him by his newly acquired 'Knight' status) published this book and, though it is classified under the genre of 'magical realism' in fiction, it contains clear, controversial elements directly linked to the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH), His life, His family and the Origins of the Holy Qur'aan. Rushdie is clearly well-read, but to use his talent and knowledge for blaspheme is petty and disrespectful. Perhaps he doesn't like Islam or its teachings, and that's okay. That's his opinion. But to intentionally include incorrect and offensive information about something that is important to someone else; where is the respect in that? How does he expect anyone to respect his work if he disrespects others?

At the time of publication, there was (naturally) a huge uproar in the Muslim world about the book. First it was band in several countries, which is acceptable. But a year later, the Iranian government released a Fatwa which ordered the execution of Rushdie and his publishers. As much as I dislike this man and his blaspheme, I really do think that this Fatwa is the worst thing that could have happened. Yes, the book is a clear crime against Islam, but to retaliate with violence doesn't exactly help to improve the image of our religion. The media has a wonderful talent of highlighting the extremist behaviour of people who call Islam their religion and occurrences like these only create a negative image. I understand the anger and frustration over the book and its content, but there was unnecessary loss of life that resulted from the Fatwa.

I came across this quote when I was reading up on the Rushdie Affair:


“What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.” - Salman Rushdie
If expression simply means 'to offend', then you need to rethink your ideas, Mr. Rushdie. Literature and expression is about so much more that about being controversial and offensive. When I was in high school, one of my English teachers raved about Rushdie's work, but I'd remembered my mother telling me about a book he had written which insulted the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) and so I mentally cast him aside. Perhaps he is a fantastic writer and deserves those awards he has received for his works, but I cannot possibly enjoy the acclaimed literary merit of his writing when he has published such an atrocity.

No comments: